Dr. Muhammad Arif Butt
Punjab University College of Information Technology
University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
Office Telephone: +92-(0)42-111-923-923 Extension: 133
Cell. Phone: +92-(0)321-4456454
Dr. Muhammad Arif Butt is an Assistant Professor at the Punjab University College of Information Technology (PUCIT), University of the Punjab (PU), Lahore, Pakistan. He received his MSc and MPhil degrees both with a Gold Medal from PUCIT, University of the Punjab. Also, he received Ph.D. in Computer Science from the same University. His research focuses on applying fuzzy inference models to operating system modules, where decision making is done based on imprecise and vague inputs to enhance performance and make the beast more user friendly. His teaching interests are embedded/real time operating system, system programming, and system modeling. His management and teaching experience spans over 30 years in various set ups of Pakistan Army and at University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan. He is a detail-oriented, multi-tasker with strong organizational skills, is a tactful team player, thrive within group environment and enjoys a pleasant personality.
|PhD (CS)||Punjab University Lahore||2019|
|MPhil (CS)||Punjab University Lahore||2009||1st (Gold Medal)|
|MSc (CS)||Punjab University Lahore||2005||1st (Gold Medal)|
|Graduation||Pakistan Military Academy Kakul||1989||1st|
|Intermediate||Govt. Science College Lahore||1986||1st|
|Matriculation||Don BosCo High School Lahore||1985||1st|
Applying fuzzy inference models in operating, embedded, and cloud based systems/services where decision making is involved under imprecise and
Assistant Professor, Punjab University College of Information Technology (PUCIT), University of the Punjab (PU),
Quaid-i-Azam (New) Campus, Lahore, Pakistan.
Experience / Employment History
- Assistant Professor Punjab University College of Information Technology
09/2008 – till date
- Worked as Incharge/Principal PUCIT for two years.
- Member Board of Faculty of Science, Punjab University
- Member Board of Studies, PUCIT.
- Degree Coordinator BS Computer Science program, PUCIT
- Chairman Disciplinary Committee.
- Worked as Chief Security Officer Punjab University in 2011
- Teaching subjects includes Advance Operating System, Advance Computer Architecture,
System Programming, Computer Organization and Assembly Language, and Digital Logic
- Lecturer Punjab University College of Information Technology
03/2005 – 09/2008
- Degree Coordinator BS Computer Science program
- Domain Head Computer Architecture and Digital Logic Design at PUCIT
- Member Unfair Means Committee.
- Teaching subjects includes Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, Digital Logic
Design and Introduction to Computing.
- Worked as Project Manager in Star Solutionz.
04/2002 – 06/2007
- Dealing with the clients, understanding their requirements and later act as a bridge between the clients and various sections of the software house
- Participated in development of various medium/small Enterprise level Projects
- Library System of School of Military Intelligence (Pak Army)
- Army Recruitment & Selection Center (Pak Army)
- Complete Accounting System for Lahore Chemical Industries
- Pay Roll System for Sharment Fabrics
- Accounting, Inventory, Production and HRM for Fazal Younas Industries.
- Accounting System for Samar Traders
- Accounting & Inventory System for Gul Ahmed Fabrics
- Complete Accounting System for Bilal Carpets
- Established computer networks of the following organizations:
- Rangers Head Quarters Punjab (Pak Army)
- Army Recruitment & Selection Center (Pak Army)
- Fazal Younas Industries
- Lahore Chemical Industries
- Project Manager Gates College of Computer Sciences and Software Engineering
05/2000 – 03/2002
- Project Manager IT.
- To update the curriculum of BCS and MCS.
- To handle the problems of the students regarding their courses.
- Bridging gaps between staff, teachers and the students.
- Supervise various certification courses.
- Teaching Computer Architecture, Data Communication and programming languages
- OIC IT Center School of Infantry and Tactics Quetta (Pak Army)
11/1997 – 08/1998
- Worked as OIC Computer Cell
- Taught various IT courses
- Instructor School of Infantry & Tactics Quetta (Pak Army)
08/1996 – 10/1997
- Taught various courses of Small arms at School of Infantry & Tactics Quetta.
- Supervised the overall training aspects
- Joined Pakistan Army
- Served as staff as well as on instructional appointments in various units/formations.
- Served in snowy mountains of Kashmir and Siachin glacier.
- Supervised the overall training aspects of soldiers.
Research & Publications
- A. Butt (2010), Taxonomy of IDS: Intrusion Detection using System Call Sequence, Pearson Education, USA, ISBN: 3639294092
- S. Habib, S. Wardat, A. Butt, M. Akram, F. Smarandache, “A Neutrosophic Clinical Decision-making System for Cardiovascular Diseases Risk Analysis” Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems, vol. pre-press, no. Pre-press, pp. 1-23, 2020
- A. Butt and M. Akram, “A new intuitionistic fuzzy rule-based decision-making system for an operating system process scheduler”, SpringerPlus, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-17, 2016
- A. Butt and M. Akram, “A novel fuzzy decision-making system for CPU scheduling algorithm”, Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1927–1939, 2016
- Akram, S. Shahzad, A. Butt, and A. Khaliq, “Intuitionistic Fuzzy Logic Control for Heater Fans”, Mathematics in Computer Science, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 367–378, 2013
- Doctoral Dissertation: “Fuzzy Decision-making Systems for Operating System Kernel”, 2016
- MPhil Thesis: “Taxonomy of IDS: Intrusion Detection using System Call Sequence”, 2008
- MSc Thesis: “Real Time Embedded System for Industrial Automation of LCI”, 2005